Texas Coat Rack



I saw this coat rack in a local antique store and noticed many of the items are in our store so I thought I'd try to make one like it.



I gathered pieces of weathered pallet wood, cut and placed them like I wanted them. Pictured are the approximate dimensions of the boards. They are 1/2" thick. The trim was cut on a table saw and they are 1/2" x 1". The finished project was 22 1/4" wide x 20 1/4" tall. My version appears to be a smaller scaled down version of the original.



The boards were put together with biscuits and glue then clamped. The center support is 1 1/8" wide.  The trim was glued and nailed with a brad gun. The little corner pieces  are 1/4" thick and were glued and nailed with a brad gun.



I bought 2 10" x 10" mirrors from the craft store and installed them with mirror clips.



I sprayed all of the iron pieces with vinegar and placed them in the sun to rust. The iron pieces were then sprayed with a clear finish. I drilled holes for the Mini Star Nails and I had to cut the nails to make them a little shorter. I screwed everything in with antique copper screws to match the rust and used our Longhorn Branding Iron at the bottom.

This project was not so easy, but fun and rewarding.

The items used in this project were:

Mini Star Nails

Victorian Hook

Small Horseshoe

Branding Iron

Texas Longhorn Star

Comments