Serape Arrow Coat Rack




For this project I turned an old cabinet door from my kitchen remodel into a beautiful colorful Serape Arrow Coat Rack!



Here is what the cabinet door looked like originally.



I sanded down the door. It's ugly now, but will become beautiful!



A smaller drawer panel became my practice piece. I tried to find serape fabric or serape wrapping paper with no luck, so I decided to find a photo of a serape blanket on the internet and print it out on a large format printer. I cut the photo to fit onto the drawer panel and after painting a thin coat of Mod Podge, I placed it on the panel. I smoothed it out with my fingers and a brayer. After it had dried I added a coat of Mod Podge in matte finish.

I drew an arrow on 1/4" plywood and cut it out on the scroll saw. I cut out a second one and painted both arrows coordinating acrylic paint colors. After it dried I sanded a little paint off, then brushed on a coat of Mod Podge.

I painted the frame blues and yellows rather sloppily, sanded a little, and brushed on a coat of Mod Podge.



I glued the arrows to the panel and used 1" Hammered Nails in the corners of the frame. The Arrow Hooks were screwed to the wooden arrows. This drawer panel is 20" wide x 12 3/4" tall.




I thought this would also make a cute tray by adding rustic handles. I would use a water proof sealer for the finish.



I used the same process mentioned above on the larger cabinet door, arranging the arrows and hooks to fit. This coat rack is 35" wide x 14 1/4" tall.

This is a fun Southwest style piece to brighten up any corner of your home. Perhaps you will be inspired to create your own design!

Comments