Southwest Coat Hook



I wanted to use spurs as shelf supports in a project but was told it couldn't be done. I made it happen anyway. Never give up on your ideas.

I used oak boards and as I begin laying it out, ideas started popping into my head so I went with it.



Holes were drilled.



With a chisel a section was notched out for the spur.



A hole was drilled for a spoke of the spur rowel. The spur was attached with epoxy.



I painted the first coat with acrylic and decided to paint all of the edges in a different color. Then I sanded a bit. I applied golden oak stain and wiped it off. I cut the geometric designs out of plywood and painted them the same way. They were attached with wood glue.



Three coats of Wipe-On Poly were used as the finish.

After everything was painted, the shelf was glued and screwed to the bottom piece. At the same time the spurs were attached with epoxy. The header was attached with biscuits and glue. Coat hooks were screwed in.

A French cleat bracket was attached for hanging.

These items can be purchased in the store:

Spur

Medium Coat Hook

Comments