Cowhide Coaster Box

 


A friend of mine made this coaster set and box for me. Very cute, and some may want to go this route, but it gave me an idea to make one western style.


Here are the wood pieces for the box. Four sides of mahogany, or any wood you have on hand, and a plywood base. There are two pieces 5 3/4" x 2 3/8" x 1/2" and two pieces 6 3/4" x 2 3/8" x 1/2". The bottom piece is 5 3/4" x 5 3/4".


The box is glued together, and brad nailed to secure.


I cut a piece for a lid and glued a smaller piece to the underside to fit inside the box. The lid dimensions are 6 3/4" x 6 3/4" x 1/4" and the smaller piece is about 5 5/8" x 5 5/8".


I glued hair-on cowhide around the box.


I glued cowhide to the top of the lid.


I painted the bottom of the lid and the bottom and inside of the box black.


I spray painted a steer drawer pull oil rubbed bronze and mounted it to the top of the lid.


I placed a strip of leather 1" wide around the box and nailed in oil rubbed bronze tacks. I painted all the edges of the cowhide black.


This will hold 8 of our cowhide coasters. It's a decorative piece when not in use or it can be a gift box or trinket box.

Comments