Buckle Display Strap


 Buckle Display Strap

Strap - 45" x 5" (Hair-on cowhide with 8-9 oz. backing)

Tooled Pieces - 5" x 3 3/4"

Buckle straps - 1 1/2" x 2 3/4", 3/8" from right edge

Spacing between buckle straps - 2 1/2"

Buckles - 4 1/2" x 3 1/2"

2 D-rings

I was asked to make a buckle display on a strap. I looked on the internet and found one that looked like a cinch, so I decided to make one to resemble a cinch. I had several cowhide scraps that were given to me by the person that wanted the buckle display. I used one of those hides for this project.

I borrowed several buckles from a friend so I would know how long and wide to make it. The customer wanted to display 6 or 7 buckles and I decided to make it 7. Go for the most, right?

I cut a piece of cowhide about 48" long to allow for riveting on D-rings x 5" wide.


 The customer wanted their brand on it, so I designed a tooling piece around their brand.


I tooled a Texas star for the bottom of the strap.

I sewed the tooled pieces to the cowhide.


I used black 8-ounce leather on the back for stability.

After experimenting with scraps to get the correct dimensions and spacing, I punched holes for the English bridle leather straps and an oblong hole beside each into the leather backing.


The oblong hole makes it easier to hook in the buckles.

I glued the cowhide with the tooled leather pieces to the leather backing and punched the three holes for the buckle hooks and holes for the rivets in the cowhide. The three holes are 3/8" from the left side and 3/8" between each hole.


I riveted the English bridle straps and the D-rings at the top and bottom.



In person, this piece is very impressive and the cowhide is so soft. It solves the problem of where to display buckles since it can be hung in a small space.

Comments

  1. This is amazing! Thanks so much for the detailed instructions, I’m going to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much did you charge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depending on the size and what they wanted on it, 65 to 75.

      Delete
  3. Can I order one of these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, contact me by email at: orders@westerngeneralstore.co,

      Delete

Post a Comment