Rustic Horseshoe Tack/Coat Rack


 We have several pieces of cherry wood in the shop that was given to us. I thought it would be perfect for this project. The top piece is the main piece, which is 18" wide x 7 14" tall. The other piece I will use to cut 2 spacers which are 8" x 1 1/2".


I will use 3 large cast iron horseshoes which are 4 1/2" x 4 1/2", but you can use any kind of horseshoes.


I want to place the spacers on the main piece and screw in a horseshoe on each end and one in the middle.


I glued the left spacer with Titebond 3, let it dry overnight and put a couple of polyurethane coats overall, including the right spacer.


After I spray painted the horseshoes black and let dry, I screwed one horseshoe in the end of the right spacer.


Each horseshoe will have 2 one-inch dry wall screws. Pilot holes were drilled beforehand.


I glued the right spacer with horseshoe attached and let it dry overnight.


I screwed in the other 2 horseshoes on each end.


On the back of the piece I measured from the edge and drilled pilot holes to screw two 1 5/8" dry wall screws into each spacer to secure them. I used a counter sink bit.


This photo shows the angle of the horseshoes. You can place a cowboy hat or cap on the top hook and a coat on the lower hook.


It can be loaded up with hats, caps, and coats, but then you can't see the wood.


I think it would make a great tack rack.


The live edge cherry gives it a rustic cabin feel. I love this piece and enjoyed making it. Maybe it will give you some inspiration to create!


Comments