Spur Strap Tutorial


 I've been doing a lot of leather work lately, mainly because people ask me to make things and I try to make them. But I love working with leather and I have learned by watching videos on the internet. A friend asked me to make a pair of spur straps to give as a gift. I put the photo of the spur straps I made on social media and here I am 5 pair of spur straps later. I am by no means an expert, but I thought I could show you how I make a pair of spur straps.

My neighbor, an old-time cowboy, made himself a pair of spur straps. I borrowed his for a template and put my own "stamp" on it, literally!


About a 12" x 12" piece of veg-tan leather that is 7-9 ounces will be enough for this project. I trace the shape onto the leather and cut it out. The spur hole is 3/8" and the oblong holes are 1". I flip the template for the opposite foot. The strap templates are also cut out and 3/8" holes punched. A slit is cut from the 3/8" holes. A 3/4" half round strap end punch is used on the ends.


After wetting the leather, I make a border line with the wing dividers. I go over it with the swivel knife.


I use a veiner stamp and mule foot stamp to stamp out a border design which I saw on an old holster.


I find letters on the internet and print and trace them onto vellum paper. I insert the vellum into a plastic sheet protector. I place this on top of wet leather and use a Bic pen without the ink to trace it onto the leather.


I follow the trace lines with a swivel knife.


I use a beveler stamp tool around the edges.


Here are all the pieces of this project to cut out and stamp. The strap to hold the buckle is 4" long x 3/4" wide. Rivet holes and 7/8" oblong hole are punched into this piece as well as skived to fold around the buckle. A 3/4" half round strap end punch is used on the ends.


 For the finish I used Eco Flo All in One Acorn Brown. I then paint the letters Cova Color Kelly Green and seal the letters with Fiebing's Pro Resist. Next, I use Eco Flo Gel Antique Dark Brown then Fiebing's Antique Finish Medium Brown. I apply Acorn Brown on the back. I let this dry overnight.


After slicking the edges, I use Angelus Brown edge leather finish. I apply Fiebing's Pro Resist overall. For the last step I apply Fiebing's Aussie Leather Conditioner.


A 3/4" Cart Buckle is riveted onto the main body.


One pair of Spur Straps for the customer to enjoy for years to come. Maybe you'll make a pair of your own!


Comments