Boot Top Cross


I was asked by a woman to make a boot top cross using the boots of her friend's deceased father. I had never made one but wanted to do this, so I accepted. I decided to experiment, so using 2 pair of my husband's boots, I got to work and also made a tutorial for this blog.


I found a piece of old plywood and drew out a cross with each leg being 4 inches wide. The plywood was 15 3/4" wide and I made the height 23". After it was cut out on the band saw, I realized the plywood needed to be thicker for tacks and trim, but now I had a cross template.


I cut a new cross out of 1/2" plywood.


I cut the boot tops off.


I marked a center line on each leg of the plywood cross and marked an arrow where the center of the boot top would be placed.


I measured past the arrows for the correct size of leather for the center of the cross. I used black scrap leather, cut it to fit and glued it on.


1/4" x 3/4" cedar trim was glued and nailed to the edge. Next time the trim should be 1 inch wide to accommodate the layers of boot leather.


I cut the pieces of boot top to fit like a puzzle. I added pieces of gold leather for contrast. I used thin gold leather pieces for the other three legs to match the bottom.

Starting from the center of the cross and working out I glued the pieces on with water-based contact cement. I sanded any smooth leather so the glue would adhere to it.


I placed different colored cowhide crosses in the center. When I placed the white one down, it just glowed and I knew this was the one! I glued on the cross.

I nailed silver upholstery tacks at the center of each boot piece. For the center of the cross, I drilled a hole for a turquoise rivet.

I was very pleased with how this Boot Top Cross turned out. Now you have the tutorial to make your own cross. What will it look like? 

Comments