Horseshoe Mirror


 I saw a horseshoe frame something like this on the internet and thought I could make it from a mirror that was on a previous blog post Western Style Mirrors.


I wanted to dress up the horseshoes with leather cord and beads.


I rusted the horseshoes by spraying them with vinegar and setting them in the sun. I sprayed a clear sealer after they had dried. I drilled a 11/64 hole in the bottom of the horseshoe on the drill press. The screws pictured were used to attach the horseshoes to the frame. A 1/8 pilot hole was drilled into the frame first.


I used the glue pictured to finish the cording on the horseshoe.


Wow! I think it turned out well!

I glued brown and white cowhide on the frame.

I attached the horseshoes and a rusted Horse Head Drawer Pull at the top. I drilled 1/8 holes and glued in turquoise rivets.

My mother passed away several years ago and western decor wasn't her thing, but I thought of her during this project, as if I was making it for her for Mother's Day. I think she would be proud.

Have a Happy Mother's Day!



Comments