Round Coat Rack



A few years ago I bought a couple of old corbels from Old Texas Wood in Dallas.

We cut them up into pieces to hold up the bar in our kitchen. I had these two left over and they were thick enough for this project. I drew a half circle and cut it on the band saw.


My idea was to glue tooled leather to the front of this round piece and screw hooks to the leather.


I drew the tooling design and traced in the hook bases.


I tooled the leather and put on a finish to accenuate the cuts. 


I went to the "Wood Store" in my husband's wood shop and found this cypress piece. It was thick like the round piece, so it was perfect for the look I wanted, and it was the perfect size!


I screwed in Z clip hardware and sprayed a clear sealer on all the wood.


After I glued the leather to the round piece and let dry, I glued the round piece to the cypress and let it dry. The extra clamped board was a guide for gluing the round piece.


The round piece was screwed to the cypress.


I spray painted a horseshoe, a Medium Star Nail, and Large Coat Hooks matt black. After drilling pilot holes, I screwed in all the hardware. The overall size of this piece is 13" wide x 11" tall x 10" deep.


This piece is for hanging coats and caps...


...tack, hats and belts. Mounted in barn or home, it's attractive western decor that serves a purpose!

Comments