Horseshoe Dreamcatcher


This project is my western style version of a dreamcatcher made with our XL Horseshoe. In some Native American cultures, the dreamcatcher is intended to protect the sleeping individual from negative dreams, while letting positive dreams through. I believe we all need one.

I made several different dreamcatchers to inspire you with ideas when you make your own. All the supplies such as feathers, beads, thread, cord, and leather lace can be purchased at any craft store. Also, I gave a step by step tutorial on how I made one.

The first version (above) I made years ago while experimenting. Leather cord was used, and I hung a horseshoe nail horseshoe on the webbing. I made the horseshoe many years ago by cutting, bending and soldering 2 horseshoe nails together in the form of a horseshoe and wrapping it with wire.


This version is made with black waxed thread and I used a buffalo button on the webbing.


This dreamcatcher I made with blue leather lace, attached a spur rowel concho in the middle and added blue and silver star beads and feathers. I used a hot glue gun for the feathers.


Here I used beige waxed thread which looks most like the traditional sinew. I wove in turquoise beads, attached a Horseshoe Star Concho and feathers.


You can also use a Spur to make a dreamcatcher.



This dreamcatcher is made with leather lace, horse concho on the webbing, feathers, beads and a lariat tassel hangs in the middle. Below is a step by step tutorial.


Step 1: Lay the horseshoe down on a 2 foot piece of leather lace or whatever you want to use. Wrap one end around the horseshoe.


Step 2: Bring the lace underneath the center strand.


Step 3: Wrap around the center strand and back over the horseshoe, pulling tight.


Step 4: Wrap the lace around the horseshoe several times and pull under and through one of the strands. Pull tight. You can hot glue and trim this later.


Step 5: Front view. Do Step 3 and 4 on both sides.


Step 6: Take 3 yards of leather lace, place one end through the top hole in the horseshoe and tie a square knot in the back. I used a different color for the top piece because I didn't have enough of one color.


Step 7: Bring behind the strand at the top.


Step 8: Loop around as shown.


Step 9: Make another loop at the top.


Step 10: Pull lace through the second hole.


Step 11: Loop around horseshoe and over lace, always pulling tight.


Step 12: Put lace in next hole, loop around horseshoe and over lace.


Step 13: Repeat Step 11 all the way around. Where there is no hole just loop around the horseshoe.


Step 14: Loop through the middle of the next straight strand and continue until you get to the center. You may want to slide on beads or trinkets as you go, depending on your design. At times I would skip over sections too small. You'll get the hang of it the further you go.


Step 15: At the center pull through to the back and tie a knot. You may want to leave a hole in the center instead of closing it up. Next tie on lace at the bottom with beads and feathers. Then hang above your bed for sweet dreams or give as a gift. Have fun!





















Comments

  1. Thank you so much for this tutorial! I was able to complete two of my first horseshoe dreamcatchers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really a helpful and thorough tutorial. I work with older horses and sometimes we lose one. What a nice way to memorialize a loved animal for the owner by] placing a braid of hair at the bottom center

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment